You may not know the name Massachusetts Bay Brewing Company, but this Boston-based craft brewery makes the award-winning Harpoon and UFO portfolios of beer. Inspired by hefeweizens he drank on a trip to the Pacific Northwest nearly two decades ago, Dan Kenary’s refreshing, sometimes-fruit-infused-and-always-easy-drinking UFO beers (short for UnFiltered Offerings) are the ultimate thirst quenchers. Full of interesting flavors and fun, UFO’s new look matches what the beers have always been. Kenary says,
“Beer should be flavorful, uncomplicated and fun. That’s what UFO is all about. And the new look does a great job of communicating that message.”
Draught Lines sat down with Kenary to find out more about these out-of-this-world hefeweizens…
- “We chose the name UFO because the idea of a cloudy beer served with lemon was an ‘alien’ concept to New Englanders back in the late ’90s.”
- There’s great history, tradition and craft behind UFO beers. Born from a revered brewing tradition, flavorful, adventurous twists are added to each one. “We’ve been doing a lot of experimenting and tinkering with flavors and recipes. I think our brewers have nailed the flavors and made beers that are beautifully crafted, but really drinkable. They’re fun to brew and even more fun to drink.”
- If Kenary could only drink one UFO beer for the rest of his life, “It would have to be UFO White Ale. It is so clean and refreshing and goes with so many beer drinking occasions.”
- The new UFO labels tell more about the great beer inside: The glass is the beacon on the package, which shows what the beer looks like. And the fonts and colors are fun, friendly, bright and fresh – just like the beer.
- The passport stamp on the labels (“FLAVOR ADVENTURES. DEPARTING DAILY.”) speaks to the refreshing, flavorful beers that leave the brewery every day and land in the glasses of UFO fans.
- There’s a nod to employee ownership on the package. “We want customers to know that everyone at the brewery is invested in the quality of the beer we’re making.”
- UFO Hefeweizen and UFO Raspberry made the list of Paste Magazine’s Blind Tasted and Ranked 59 Best Wheat Beers (April 2017).
- Harpoon and UFO are very different beers with very different consumers. “UFO drinkers prefer fruitier, easy-to-drink beers, while those who drink Harpoon like more complex combinations of hops and malt.”
- UFO’s new fall release, CranBeery is a refreshing hefeweizen infused with fresh cranberries, right from the bogs of Massachusetts. It’s a little sweet, a little tart and a lot delicious. Try it with an open-faced turkey sandwich or pecan pie – you won’t regret it.
- UFO now has its own website (ufobeer.com) and social media presence on Instagram and Twitter. Follow @ufobeers!